Eggplant tikka masala
This is a hearty and delicious little vegetarian number for all the curry lovers. Best of all, you can whip it up in under 30 minutes. ‘Curry in a hurry’, if you like.
- 4 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 2-3 eggplants (roughly 800g), cut into 3-4cm cubes
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 4 Tbsp tikka masala paste
- 1 ½ cups tomato passata
- 400ml tin coconut cream
1. Heat the oil in a large saucepan on a medium heat, add the eggplant cubes and cook until golden brown and starting to soften. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.
2. Reduce the heat to low and cook the onion and garlic until soft and translucent.
3. Increase the heat slightly and return the eggplant to the pan, adding the tikka masala paste. Stir until everything is coated in the paste and cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring frequently so it doesn’t catch and burn.
4. Add the passata and coconut cream, stir well and simmer for a further 5-10 minutes or until the eggplant is tender and the sauce has reduced slightly.
5. To Serve: Serve over fluffy jasmine rice, crunch over a few poppadoms for a bit of texture and garnish with coriander.