Italian vegetable stew
This is a gorgeous, hearty stew that is jam-packed with goodies. Butternut squash, curly kale and cannellini beans all help to create a vegetarian delight that will warm you up in no time.
- 600 grams butternut squash, peeled, deseeded and cut into 2cm cubes
- olive oil
- 1 red onion, diced
- 1 leek, thinly sliced
- 3 celery stalks, diced
- 3 carrots, peeled and diced
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced
- 5 cups water
- 400 gram tin cannellini beans, drained
- 250 grams curly kale, stalks removed and torn into bite-size pieces
- salt and pepper
1. Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in the casserole dish on a medium heat.
2. Add the butternut squash, onion, leek, celery, carrot and a pinch of salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until everything starts to soften.
3. Add the garlic and cook for a further minute. Add the water, bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer for 30 minutes.
4. After this time, add the beans and kale, stir through and then cover again and simmer for a further 30 minutes until the water reduces slightly.
5. At this point you’re ready to go, but if you want to reduce the stew even further then let it simmer some more.