Key lime pie
If you’re a fan of all things zesty, this sublime pie needs to be on your hit list. It’s a quick base using digestive biscuits and only three ingredients for the filling. So grab some limes and hop to it, you won’t be disappointed.
- Tart base:
- 180 grams digestive biscuits
- 1 tablespoon soft brown sugar
- 85 grams unsalted butter, melted
- Tart filling:
- 4 free-range egg yolks
- 390 gram tin condensed milk
- ¾ cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- Lime zest
- whipped cream
1. Base: Preheat the oven to 160°C bake. Blitz the digestive biscuits and brown sugar in a small food processor until you have a mixture that resembles fine sand.
2. Tip the mixture into a bowl, add the melted butter and stir through until it resembles damp sand. Tip into the tart tin and press evenly over the base and up the sides.
3. Bake for 12 minutes, then remove and allow to cool while you make the filling.
4. Filling: Whisk the egg yolks in a bowl. Add the condensed milk and whisk until combined, then add the lime juice and stir slowly until fully incorporated. At this point I like to pass the mixture through a sieve to remove any big air bubbles and ensure it’s super smooth, or you can skip this step and pour it straight into the tart shell.
5. Once you’ve filled the shell, return it to the oven for 15 minutes until the filling is just set. Remove, cool, then refrigerate for 4-5 hours or overnight