- 800g lamb, diced
- Olive oil
- 200g streaky bacon, thinly sliced
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- 2 carrots, finely diced
- 2 celery stalks, finely diced
- ½ cup red wine
- 400g tin diced tomatoes
- 1 ½ cups chicken stock
- 400g tin cannellini beans, drained
- Salt and pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C.
2. Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in the casserole dish on a medium heat. Working in two batches, brown the lamb and then remove from the dish and set to one side.
3. Add the bacon to the dish and cook for 2-3 minutes then add the onion, carrots, celery and a pinch of salt and pepper and continue cooking until everything is nicely caramelized.
4. Add the red wine to deglaze the pan, stirring gently to remove any bits caught on the bottom, then return the lamb to the dish with the tomatoes and stock and stir to combine.
5. Bring to the boil, then cover and place in the oven for 45 minutes.
6. Remove from the oven, mix through the drained cannellini beans and return to the oven, uncovered, for a further 45 minutes, or until the sauce has thickened.
7. Serve with crusty bread or creamy mashed potatoes.