- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 knobs butter
- 250 grams button mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 celery stalk, finely diced
- 400 grams Arborio rice
- 100ml white wine (optional, replace with more vegetable stock if you don’t use wine)
- 1.5 litres vegetable stock, hot
- ½ cup grated Parmesan
- knob of butter
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons Italian flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- extra parsley and Parmesan to garnish
- salt and pepper
1. Place half the olive oil and one knob of butter in a large heavy-based saucepan on a medium heat. Add the mushrooms and cook for 4-5 minutes until soft and any moisture released has cooked away. Remove from the pan and set aside.
2. Add the second knob of butter and the remaining tablespoon of olive oil to the pan. Add the onion, garlic and celery and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes until softened.
3. Add the rice and stir for 1 minute to coat the grains. Add the wine and let it cook until absorbed.
4. Add a ladleful of hot stock and stir until absorbed. Continue adding stock, 1 ladleful at a time, stirring and making sure each is absorbed before adding the next, until the rice is al dente, or just cooked. This will take about 20-25 minutes.
5. To finish the risotto, stir through the reserved mushrooms. Add the Parmesan and butter and stir to combine. Add the lemon zest and parsley and stir through. Season to taste.