Catalan Style Chicken
In this region of Spain, ingredients like olive, garlic and thyme are often combined with fruit, both fresh and dried. The combination of sweet, sour and salty ingredients in this easy to make recipe produces a taste that will appeal to everyone.
- 6-8 chicken thigh cutlets
- 4 cloves Numero Uno garlic, crushed
- 1 cup Green Stuffed Olives, drained
- 3 sprigs Superb Herb Thyme
- ½ jar Fragata Capers, drained
- 3 tsp Gregg’s Paprika
- 4 plums, halved with core removed
- 1 Maggi Stock Melts Chicken
- 350g Sunrice Medium Grain Rice
- 120g Pams Fresh Express Baby Spinach
- ALSO NEED: olive oil, salt and pepper, brown sugar, cornflour
- Preheat oven to 180ºC
- Rub the underside of the chicken thighs with garlic and place into a baking dish (not too shallow).
- Add the olives, thyme leaves and capers, pushing them underneath the chicken.
- Sprinkle over the paprika. Season well.
- Toss the plums with 1-2 tsps brown sugar and add to the baking tray.
- Pour over ½ cup water and one stock melt. You can add a splash of white wine.
- Roast 40 minutes or until done.
- Meanwhile cook the rice as per instructions.
- When the chicken is ready, turn off the oven and remove the liquid to a pot.
- Return the chicken to the oven with the spinach which will wilt in the heat of the oven (3-4 minutes).
- Thicken the liquid with a little cornflour (if needed).
- Serve the chicken with the spinach and rice.
- Use Smoked Paprika if you have it.
- You can combine olives and capers with tomato as a salad.
- For a tasty dip combine some olives, capers, 2-3 tbs olive oil, lemon juice and 1 cup chopped parsley in a kitchen whizz. Blend till it looks like smooth dip. Add pepper as required.