- Courgettes (you can also use zucchini)
- Use a vegetable spiralizer or peeler to cut the courgette into ribbons. (If you want to make authentic looking spaghetti, use a julienne peeler). A standard vegetable peeler will create thin flat pieces of courgette.
- Leaving the skin on, run the peeler down the full length of the courgette. Repeat on the same side making long pieces of courgette until you reach the seeds in the centre.
- Make a quarter turn in the courgette and begin again. Go all round the courgette until you have just the seeds left - these can be discarded.
- Place the noodles into a colander and sprinkle lightly with salt.
- Leave to drain over a bowl or the sink for about 20 to 30 minutes. Press down the noodles occasionally to remove excess water.
- Heat a little oil in a wide fry pan. Use a high heat, and when the oil is hot, toss in the courgette and stir. Fry for 2-3 minutes, stirring regularly.
- When cooked, the courgette should be soft with a few crispy edges.
Before serving, season well with salt, pepper and olive oil. Mix the courgette noodles with your favourite pasta sauce or stir-fried vegetables.
Garlic, pesto and tomato flavours go well with the courgette.
For a more substantial meal add cooked chicken, fish or prawns.