Gluten free christmas cake
Just because you’re gluten free, you don’t have to miss out on a slice of Christmas Cake with this tasty moist recipe.
- Gluten free
- 1kg mixed fruit
- 1 cup Brown Sugar
- 1 cup Water
- 125g butter
- 1/2 cup pitted prunes, chopped
- 1 tsp Baking soda
- 1/2 cup dark rum
- 1 tsp Angostura bitters
- 2 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground cloves
- 1 tsp Ground Ginger
- 2 Eggs, beaten
- 2 cup Healtheries Simple Baking Mix
- 1 tsp gluten-free baking powder
- 1 1/4 cup pecan nut halves
- 3/4 cup walnut halves
- 2 tbsp Healtheries Dietex Marmalade Preserve
- juice of 1 lemon
- Preheat oven to 160°C. Line base and sides of a 24cm cake tin with a double thickness of baking paper.
- Place the mixed fruit, sugar, water, butter, prunes and baking soda into a saucepan. Bring to the boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Stir in the rum, bitters, vanilla and spices. Allow to cool.
- Stir in the eggs.
- Sift the baking mix and baking powder together and fold into the cake mixture.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared cake tin. Bake for 2 to 2 ½ hours or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean. After the first hour in the oven, cover the top of the cake with a double thickness of baking paper to prevent over-browning.
- For the glaze, gently heat the jam and lemon juice in a small saucepan. Pass through a sieve. Brush top of the cooled cake with warm glaze. Arrange the nuts on top of the cake. Brush with more glaze.