Gluten free orange and ricotta hotcakes
Gather the family round the table for a delicious brunch of Orange & Ricotta hot cakes, delicious served with in-season blueberries. Another option is to omit the orange zest and serve the hot cakes with grilled bacon.
- Gluten free
- 1 tsp Wheat & Gluten Free baking powder
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 1 1/2 cup Healtheries Ground Rice Flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 Eggs, separated
- 1/4 cup reduced fat milk
- 2 cup reduced fat Greek yoghurt, plain
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- zest of 1 orange, finely grated
- 1 cup reduced fat ricotta cheese
- Combine all the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
- Separate the eggs, (reserving egg whites for later use) and using another bowl lightly whisk the egg yolks with the milk and Greek yoghurt.
- Make a well in the dry ingredients and fold the liquid ingredients through. Mix in the vanilla, orange zest and ricotta cheese.
- Cover and refrigerate the batter if not cooking at once - can be stored up to 12 hours.
- Just before cooking, whisk the egg whites until they form soft peaks. Gently fold through the batter.
- Heat a frying pan over medium heat with 1 tsp of butter or a little oil. Drop spoonfuls of the mixture into the pan. Cook each side for about 1 minute until golden and the mixture is fully set through the centre.
- Transfer hot cakes to a cooling rack once cooked. Repeat to cook all the mixture, adding a little more butter to the pan between batches.
Serve these hotcakes with fresh fruit and maple syrup for a wonderful gluten-free brunch.