Classic roast lamb
There’s nothing like a classic roast to spoil family and friends. Teamed with the tart mint sauce and perfectly roasted seasonal veg this dish is a guaranteed crowd pleaser.
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh thyme
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp Pams Olive Oil
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1.7 – 2 kg leg of lamb
- 2 tbsp Pams Olive Oil, extra
- 1 kg kumara, cut into large chunks
- 1 kg carrots, peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 red onions, cut into wedges
- 1 bulb garlic, cut in half
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- ¼ cup white wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp Pams Caster Sugar
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 cup fresh mint leaves, finely chopped
Anika Moa's twist - Warm roast vege & couscous salad
- 1 ½ cups chicken, beef stock or vegetable, heated
- 1 cup dried couscous
- 120g pack baby spinach
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 100g feta cheese, crumbled
Toni Street's twist
- Beetroot relish
- Fresh rolls
- Fresh rocket
- Cucumber yoghurt
- Preheat the oven to 200°C. Combine the garlic, rosemary, thyme, mustard, olive oil, salt and pepper in a small bowl.
- Score the top side of the lamb with a sharp knife and place in a large roasting dish. Spread the garlic and herb mixture over the lamb, rubbing into the scored cuts. Drizzle with extra olive oil.
- Roast in the preheated oven for 1 hour 30 minutes for medium, or until the lamb is cooked to your liking. Baste frequently.
- After 50 minutes, add the vegetables, garlic bulb and sprigs of rosemary. Toss to coat in oil. Season with salt and pepper. Cook the vegetables for 40 minutes, or until they are tender and golden.
- Meanwhile, prepare the mint sauce. Place the vinegar, caster sugar and water into a small saucepan and stir over low heat until the sugar dissolves. Remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly before stirring in the chopped mint.
- Slice the lamb and serve with the roast
vegetables and mint sauce.
Anika Moa's twist
- Once the lamb and vegetables have cooked (as per ‘Classic Roast Lamb’ recipe) remove from the roasting dish, cover with tinfoil and set aside to rest.
- Drain any excess fat from the roasting dish, then pour the hot stock into the roasting dish. Scatter the couscous over, cover immediately, and leave to absorb for 10 minutes.
- Use a fork to fluff the couscous, then transfer to a mixing bowl. Roughly chop the warm roasted vegetables, and toss through the couscous.
- Squeeze the lemon juice over the couscous, and drizzle with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper, then toss with the baby spinach and crumbled feta. Serve and enjoy!
Toni Street's twist
- Serve carved roast lamb served in fresh rolls with fresh rocket, beetroot relish (flavour optional) and cucumber yoghurt.