Coastal Lamb Rump Roast with Tender Greens and Hollandaise Sauce
View the method
- 3 x Coastal lamb rumps
- 1 handful baby spinach leaves
- 75g creamy feta
- 200g unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 whole black peppercorns
- 3 egg yolks
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- Fresh cut herbs such as parsley, chives and chervil
Back to ingredients
Preheat the oven to 210°C. Place a shallow roasting tray in the oven to heat.
- Make a cut in the side of each lamb rump to make a pocket. Mix together the spinach and feta and season. Fill into each lamb rump and skewer to hold mixture in place, if necessary.
- Heat a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Place lamb fat-side-down in the hot pan and brown. Turn and brown the other side.
- Remove hot tray from the oven and place in the lamb fat-side-up. Return to the oven and cook for 12-15 minutes for pink lamb. Remove from the oven, cover with foil and a clean tea towel and leave to rest for 10 minutes.
- Melt the butter and allow to cool a little. Place the vinegar, peppercorns and a dash of water in a small saucepan and reduce to 1 tablespoon. Place the egg yolks in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of gently simmering water. Strain in the 1 tablespoon of reduced liquid (to remove peppercorns). Whisk until thick and foamy, then whisk in the butter a little at a time until you have a thick creamy sauce.
- Add lemon juice to taste and season.
Serve lamb with seasonal greens (asparagus is great while still in season), and hollandaise sauce. Top with freshly cuts herbs. Boiled new season’s potatoes are delicious too.