- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1.8kg lamb leg, cut into 4cm pieces
- 500g orzo
- 2 400g cans chopped tomatoes
- 1L Beef stock, good quality
- 2 Onions, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 chillies, seeded and chopped
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp Paprika
- 1 Tbsp Honey
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 150g Feta cheese
- rind of 1 lemon, thin strips with a vegetable peeler
- juice of 1 lemon
- fresh mint to garnish
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan. Season the lamb with salt and pepper and brown in batches over high heat. Transfer to a large, heavy-based casserole dish.
- Cook onions, garlic, ground coriander, paprika, lemon rind and chillies until the onions are soft. Add the honey and cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Tip the onion mixture onto the lamb in the casserole dish and stir well.
- Add the tomatoes, cinnamon sticks, lemon juice and 300ml of the stock to the frying pan. Bring to the boil then pour into the casserole dish.
- Cover, place in the centre of the oven and cook for 1 hour.
- Remove from the oven, add the orzo and remaining stock and mix everything together well. Replace in the oven, uncovered, for an additional 25 minutes, stirring after 15 minutes.
- Remove the dish from the oven, sprinkle with feta cheese, a little fresh mint and serve in a large serving dish.
Wine Suggestion: Vidal Reserve Series Merlot Cabernet