Lamb and beetroot burgers
Succulent and sweet, these showstopper lamb and beetroot burgers are not to be missed! Perfectly balanced with salty feta, peppery rocket and a zesty homemade tzatziki, you’ll never try another burger recipe again.
- 400g lamb mince
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup Pams panko breadcrumbs
- Zest of 2 lemons
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- Pinch of chilli flakes
- Extra virgin olive oil
- ¾ cup Greek yoghurt
- ½ telegraph cucumber
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh mint leaves
- 4 burger buns, toasted
- 1 cup rocket, spinach or lettuce
- ½ cup tinned sliced beetroot, diced
- 50g feta cheese
- Fresh mint leaves, for garnish
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the lamb mince, 2 cloves minced garlic, egg, panko breadcrumbs, zest of one lemon, cumin and chilli flakes. Mix well until fully combined, then season with salt and pepper.
- Shape the mince mixture into 4 even sized patties, then place on a board or plate and set aside.
- Grate the cucumber, and place into the centre of a clean tea towel or cheese cloth. Ring tightly over a bowl or sink to remove any excess liquid.
- Make the tzatziki by combining the yoghurt, remaining minced garlic clove, zest of 1 lemon, cucumber, chopped mint and seasoning to taste.
- Bring a large non-stick frying pan to a medium to high heat. Drizzle lightly with olive oil, then cook the burger patties for 4-5 minutes each side depending on thickness, or until the patties are golden in colour and slightly pink in the center.
- To assemble the burgers, spread tzatziki over the base of the burger buns. Top with a burger patty, followed by rocket. Sprinkle with diced beetroot, then crumble feta over the top. Tear the remaining mint leaves and sprinkle over the top.
- Spread tzatziki over the burger bun lid, then place on top of the burger. Serve and enjoy immediately.
Top tip: Growing your own beetroot? Fancy giving pickling a go? Try this delicious pickled beetroot recipe.