"This dish is from the western part of India, although my family is from the north. We loved it there. The secret ingredient is my mums love which made it more delicious. Now I'm a mum myself and I try to do the same."
- 1 1/2 cups basmati rice
- 2 Tbsp canola oil
- 500mg diced lamb
- 1 tsp crushed garlic
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 3/4 tsp turmeric
- 6 whole cloves
- 4 whole cardamoms
- 2 cups diced mix vegetables-carrot, cauli peas etc
- 1 litre vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup sultanas
- 1/2 bunch of coriander to garnish
- Heat oil in the pan.
- Add onions, lamb and salt.
- Cook until lamb is done fully.
- In another pan add garlic and spices and stir fry for 2 minutes. Rinse the rice in cold water and add.Cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add vegetables, cooked lamb and stock.
- Reduce heat to low.
- Cover the pan and simmer for 20-25 minutes until all liquid is absorbed and rice is tender.
- Stir in sultanas.
- Garnish with coriander.
To make it spicy add 1/2 tsp of ground chilles into the spices and serve with plain yougurt.