- 1 cup cream
- 100g dark chocolate (1/2 cup), finely chopped
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1 Tbsp cornflour
- 4 bananas
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 50g butter
- Pistachio nuts, to garnish
- Vanilla ice cream, to serve
1. In a small saucepan over medium heat, bring cream to the boil then remove from the element.
2. Add dark chocolate and sugar to the cream, stirring well until both have melted and dissolved.
3. Add the first measure of butter to the pot and stir well. Add sifted cornflour and whisk until it begins to thicken. Set chocolate sauce aside while you cook the bananas.
4. Place the maple syrup and 50g of butter in a large frying pan. Heat over a medium to high heat, stirring until both have melted and are beginning to bubble.
5. Slice each peeled banana in half length ways. In batches, cook the bananas slice side down for 2 minutes, then flip carefully and fry the other side for a further 2 minutes.
6. Place fried banana on a plate then top with ice cream, a generous drizzle of chocolate sauce and a sprinkling of pistachio nuts.
Nuts add extra crunch to this dessert. You may choose any nut (walnuts, roasted peanuts and pecans also work well). If you are not a fan of nuts, you may choose to sprinkle on crunchy granola instead.
If you don’t have any chocolate handy, swap out for ½ cup of sifted cocoa powder.