- 2 cups brown rice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped or 1 ½ teaspoons crushed garlic
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, grated or 2 teaspoons crushed ginger
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- ½ teaspoon chilli powder (optional)
- 1 ½ cup red lentils, washed and drained
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 can lite coconut milk
- ½ cup water
- 2 cups frozen peas
- ½ packet frozen spinach, thawed with the water squeezed out
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- Cook rice according instructions on the packet.
- While the rice is cooking, heat oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat. Add onion and cook until soft and clear.
- Add garlic, ginger, turmeric, curry powder and chilli powder to the onion and stir fry for two minutes.
- Add the rinsed lentils to the frying pan and mix well. Pour over the chicken stock, coconut milk and water. Add the frozen peas and stir well.
- Bring the mixture to the boil and then reduce the heat to a simmer. Allow the lentils to cook until they are tender and the mixture has thickened — this should take about 20 minutes. Stir regularly.
- Once the lentils are cooked and the dhal has thickened, stir through the spinach and season well with salt and pepper.
- Serve on top of the rice.
Like curry, dhal is a recipe that tastes better the next day, so you can make this in advance and keep it in the fridge until you need it.