Beef gyros with tzatziki
Can’t get enough of the gyros at your local Greek restaurant? You may be surprised how easy they are to make in the comfort of your own home. Packed with the bright flavours of lemon, garlic and herbs, they’re the ideal option for lunch or a weeknight dinner.
- 2 tablespoons Pams Olive Oil
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 500g beef steak
- 4 Pams Pita Breads, toasted
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 3 tomatoes, diced
- Mint sprigs, to garnish
- 1 Lebanese cucumber, grated
- 1 cup Greek yoghurt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- Combine the olive oil, garlic, lemon juice, dried oregano and lemon zest in a medium bowl. Add the beef steak and mix well to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the tzatziki. Place the grated cucumber, yoghurt, lemon juice, garlic and mint in a bowl and mix well to combine. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Heat a barbecue or chargrill pan over mediumhigh heat. Remove the steak from the marinade and cook, turning once, for 4-5 minutes on each side, or until cooked to your liking. Remove the steak from the heat and allow to rest for 5-7 minutes before cutting into thin slices.
- To serve, top each pita bread with sliced steak, red onion, tomato and tzatziki. Garnish with mint sprigs.
- For a new flavour, pickle the onion. Place the onion slices in a bowl with 3 tbsp red wine vinegar and 2 tsp sugar. Stir to combine then chill for 20 minutes. Drain before serving.
- Make life a little easier, and use store-bought tzatziki to get these gyros on the table in no time.