Cauliflower rice burrito bowl
This gluten free dish is loaded with nutritious ingredients. Simple to make ahead of time for a tasty work lunch.
- Gluten free
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/2 teaspoon chilli powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh coriander, divided
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice (from 2 to 3 medium limes)
- 1 cup diced or shredded cooked chicken (optional), warmed if desired.
- 1/2 cup store bought salsa
- 1 medium avocado, peeled, pitted, and sliced
- 1 head cauliflower, any size
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or butter, optional
- Salt, optional
Cauliflower rice (which can be made ahead of time):
- Break apart the cauliflower into large florets with your hands. If the core is tender, you can chip it into pieces and add it with the florets.
- Process the cauliflower in 1-second pulses until it has completely broken down into rice-sized granules. (Alternatively, grate the florets on the large holes of a box grater). Some florets or large pieces of cauliflower might remain intact. Pull these out and set them aside. Transfer the cauliflower rice to another container and re-process any large pieces.
- Cooking makes the cauliflower more tender and rice-like. Warm a tablespoon of olive oil or butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the cauliflower rice and sprinkle with a little salt. Cover the pan and cook for 5 to 8 minutes.
- Place the bean, corn, water, chilli powder, cumin and 1/4 teaspoon of salt in a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Cook, stirring occasionally until heated right through. Remove from heat.
- Cook the cauliflower rice and add 1/4 cup of coriander and the lime juice and stir to combine.
- Divide the cauliflower up among 4 bowls. Top with the bean and corn mixture, chicken if using, salsa and avocado. Sprinkle with the remaining coriander and serve.