Pineapple and star anise glazed ham
There’s nothing as festive as a beautifully bronzed, tender, juicy ham! With the sweet and spicy flavours of pineapple and star anise, this show-stopper will make the ideal centrepiece for any holiday meal.
- 4.5 – 5kg cooked ½ ham on the bone
- 227g can crushed pineapple in juice
- 2 star anise
- 1 cinnamon quill
- 2cm piece fresh ginger, finely grated
- ½ cup Pams Clover Honey
- ¼ cup Pams Brown Sugar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- Finely grated zest of 1 orange
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (160°C fan forced) .
- Use a sharp knife to cut through the rind at the shank end of the ham. Starting at the opposite end of the ham, gently lift off the rind by running your fingers between the rind and the layer of fat. When you reach the scored shank end, gently pull the rind back and off the ham in one piece.
- Score the fat in a shallow diamond pattern and place the ham onto a rack in a large roasting dish lined with foil. Cover the shank with foil.
- To make the glaze, place the pineapple and juice, star anise, cinnamon and ginger into a saucepan. Bring to the boil over medium heat, then simmer until the liquid has reduced by half. Add the honey, sugar, mustard and orange zest to the saucepan. Bring to the boil then simmer for 2-3 minutes, until the mixture is slightly syrupy.
- Brush the glaze liberally over the ham. Pour 1½ cups of water into the roasting dish.
- Place in the oven and cook for 1 hour 20 minutes, or until the ham is sticky and golden. Brush the meat with the glaze every 15 minutes. Serve the ham with any remaining glaze on the side.
- This ham goes perfectly with a charred pineapple salsa. To make, mix charred pineapple with diced red capsicum, red onion, coriander, lime juice, and a little palm sugar.
- Save time by preparing the glaze a day in advance.