Two meals sorted in one go! This double recipe serves eight or you can use half in moussaka later in the week. It’s also wonderful as a family pie – just mix in a heaped cup of frozen peas, top with flaky pastry or mashed potato and bake until golden.
- Slow Cooker
- 1kg beef mince
- 10 rashers streaky bacon, diced
- 1 cup grated parmesan
- 3 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 1 large carrot, peeled and finely diced
- 1 leek, white and half of green parts finely sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tbsp worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- ½ cup tomato paste
- 1 cup white wine
- ¼ cup cornflour
- Combine all ingredients except tomato paste, wine and cornflour in slow-cooker.
- Mix tomato paste, wine and cornflour until smooth then stir into mince mixture.
- Cover and cook on high power for 4 hours or low power for 7-8 hours.
MAKE A MEAL OF IT: Serve with spaghetti, a sprinkling of grated parmesan and a salad or green veges.
SWAP IT OUT: If you don’t have bacon you can still make this bolognaise – it’s nearly as nice without! If you don't have a leek, add an extra onion instead.
ALCOHOL-FREE: The alcohol in the wine will burn off while cooking but if you want to avoid alcohol altogether use a cup of chicken or beef stock instead.