Summer roast vegetable tart
A quick and impressive ode to summer, this roast vegetable tart is bound to be a favourite this festive season! The flavours of roasted veggies, pesto and lemon sing in this delicious tart and you’ll be able to whip it up with ease thanks to the store-bought pastry.
- 1-2 sheets shortcrust pastry, defrosted
- ¼ + ¼ cup freshly grated parmesan
- ½ large orange kumara
- ½ eggplant
- 1 courgette
- 1 capsicum
- Olive oil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 cup (230g) creme fraiche
- ¼ cup pesto, plus extra for garnish
- Juice of ½ lemon
- Handful of fresh rocket
- 1 Tbsp toasted almonds or pine nuts, to garnish
- Preheat your oven to 200 degrees celsius. Grease a round or rectangular tart tin, then line the tin with pastry. Trim the edges, then prick the base with a fork and place into the freezer to chill for 15 minutes.
- Once chilled, lay a piece of baking paper into the shell, and fill with baking beans or rice. Blind bake for 15 minutes, then remove the beans and paper. Sprinkle ¼ cup grated parmesan evenly across the base, then return to the oven for a final 15-20 minutes or until golden and crisp. Set aside.
- To prepare the vegetables, cut the kumara into 2-3cm chunks. Cut the remaining vegetables into slightly larger pieces (as the kumara will need to cook longer) and scatter over a baking tray.
- Drizzle with olive oil, then sprinkle over the dried oregano and season with salt and pepper. Toss to coat, then roast for 20-30 minutes or until tender when tested. Leave to cool until just warm.
- To make the filling, whisk together the creme fraiche, pesto, remaining parmesan and seasoning to taste. Spread into the base of the cooled tart shell, then top with the warm roasted vegetables.
- Squeeze the fresh lemon juice over the tart, then garnish with fresh rocket and toasted nuts. Serve at room temperature and enjoy.