Swedish meatballs are world-famous, for good reason! They are succulent, full of flavour and swim in a creamy gravy sauce that will have you licking your plate. We love to serve these with a spoonful of cranberry sauce, a sprinkle of fresh herbs and creamy mashed potatoes to soak up all the saucy goodness.
- ½ cup white breadcrumbs
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp allspice (or equal ¼ tsp cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and pepper)
- 500g pork or beef mince
- 300ml beef or vegetable stock
- 300ml cream
- In a large bowl, combine the breadcrumbs, milk, egg, all spice and salt and pepper. Set aside for 10 minutes to allow the milk to soak into the breadcrumbs.
- After 10 minutes, add the pork or beef mince and mix well to combine, then roll into 12 even sized balls.
- Place a large non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat with a drizzle of olive oil. Cook the meatballs for a couple of minutes on each side or until golden in colour, then remove from the pan.
- Add a knob of butter to the same pan. Once melted, stir through two tablespoons of flour and allow to thicken. Slowly stir in the stock and cream then bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally until the sauce has thickened. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Add the meatballs back to the pan, then simmer for a further 2-3 minutes and serve while hot.
Master chef-inspired tip
Turn these into a delightful canape to impress your next dinner party guests. Roll the meatball mixture into 20 balls, then cook as per recipe instructions. Once cooked, serve in individual Chinese-style spoons or small ramekins, spoon over the sauce and top each meatball with a toothpick or small skewer for easy eating. Team this flavour-packed party snack with a dollop of cranberry sauce and a sprinkle of fresh chopped herbs to really bring them to life.