Asparagus cacio e pepe
Cacio e pepe, simply translating to ‘cheese and pepper’, is a beautifully simplistic and indulgent pasta dish that everyone should try! With an added pop of crisp NZ asparagus, this recipe is the definition of home comforts.
- 250g dried spaghetti
- 100g butter
- 1 bunch asparagus, thinly sliced
- 1 cup freshly grated parmesan, plus extra for garnish
- 1 tsp freshly cracked black pepper
- Bring a large saucepan of salted water to a boil. Add the dried spaghetti and cook per pack instruction. Reserve 1 cup of cooking liquid before draining, then set aside.
- Bring a large pan to a medium heat, then add the butter and melt. Add the sliced asparagus to the butter and cook while stirring for 1-2 minutes.
- Pour the reserved cooking liquid to the pan and bring to a simmer, then add the pasta, grated parmesan and pepper to the pan.
- Use tongs to gently stir the pasta as the cheese melts and creates a rich sauce. Transfer the pasta and asparagus to serving bowls, then garnish with additional grated parmesan and serve immediately.