Broccoli cheese pasta bake
Cosy up with a warming bowl of this broccoli cheese pasta bake. Simple to make and incredibly tasty, this dish is perfect for the fussiest of little eaters as the vibrant greens are artfully disguised by the deliciously cheesy sauce.
View the method
- Olive oil
- 1 leek, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large broccoli, cut into small pieces
- 50g butter
- 3 Tbsp flour
- 750ml milk
- 1 ½ cups grated cheddar cheese
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- 500g dried pasta, cooked per pack instruction
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- 2 Tbsp pine nuts, optional
- ¼ cup fresh basil
Back to ingredients
- Preheat your oven to 200 degrees celsius fan bake. In a frying pan or saucepan, saute the leek and garlic with a drizzle of olive oil over a low to medium heat. After 3-4 minutes, add the broccoli and cook for a further 2-3 minutes.
- Add the butter to the vegetable mixture, then once melted, add the flour and cook while stirring for 1-2 minutes. While stirring, slowly stream in the milk and stir until thickened, then stir through the grated cheddar cheese and generous seasoning with salt and pepper. Remove from the heat and leave to cool slightly.
- Using a stand or stick blender, blend the vegetable sauce and spinach together (in batches if necessary) until smooth. Stir through the cooked pasta, then transfer to a baking dish.
- Sprinkle over the grated mozzarella cheese, followed by the pine nuts, then place in the oven to bake for 15-20 minutes or until the cheese is melted and bubbling.
- Garnish the pasta bake with fresh basil and serve immediately.