Burst tomato and basil pasta
Deliciously simple, this burst tomato and basil pasta truly highlights the beautiful flavour of tomatoes. Paired with few ingredients, this recipe comes together in under 30 minutes and will impress the entire table!
View the method
- 400g dried pasta
- Olive oil
- 800g mixed tomatoes, halved if needed (cherry, roma, vine etc)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- Pinch of chilli flakes
- ½ tsp sugar
- ½ cup fresh basil, sliced
- Freshly grated parmesan, to garnish
Back to ingredients
- Cook the pasta as per pack instruction, reserving ½ cup of the cooking water.
In a heavy based frying pan, bring a generous drizzle of olive oil to a medium heat. Add the tomatoes, and leave to saute for 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Once the tomato skins begin to blister, lower to a low medium heat and add the garlic, oregano, chilli and sugar. Cook while stirring for 5 minutes then season with salt and pepper. Finally, use a spoon or potato masher to lightly burst and break down the tomato pieces.
- Stir through the reserved pasta water, then fold the cooked pasta through the sauce, along with the fresh basil.
- Serve the pasta finished with freshly grated parmesan and enjoy immediately.