- Extra virgin olive oil
- 150g bacon, diced
- 1 brown onion, peeled and diced
- 50g butter
- 1/3 cup plain flour
- 2-3 cups milk
- 1 Tbsp mustard
- 2 cups + 1 cup your choice of grated cheeses
- ¼ cup mixed fresh herbs or 1 Tbsp dried herbs
- 500g dried macaroni, cooked as per pack instruction
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees fan bake. In a large pot, pan fry the bacon over medium heat with a drizzle of oil. Add the diced onion, and cook until the onion is translucent; around 5-6 minutes.
- Remove from the pot and set aside.
- Place the same pot over a medium heat and add the butter. Once melted, stir in the flour and continue to stir until combined. Slowly stream in the milk while stirring, until the sauce reaches thickened consistency.
- Stir in the mustard, 2 cups of cheese and seasoning to taste. Add more milk if desired. Stir in the onion bacon mixture and herbs, then fold in the macaroni and transfer to a baking dish.
- Sprinkle with the remaining cheese, then bake in preheated oven for 10-15 minutes or until cheese has melted and is golden brown. Serve immediately.