Italian inspired carbonara
Authentic carbonara skips the cream and simply uses egg yolks, freshly grated parmesan and water from cooking the pasta to create a rich and luxuriously creamy sauce! This Italian classic is unbeatable when cooked well, and we’ve added a little pesto twist for those who love the fresh flavour of basil.
- 3 egg yolks
- ⅓ cup freshly grated parmesan
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 150g streaky bacon, diced
- 2 cloves garlic,
- 200g dried spaghetti
- In a small bowl, stir together the egg yolks and parmesan with pepper. Set aside.
- Place a heavy based frying pan over a medium heat with a drizzle of olive oil. Add the bacon to the pan, then crush the garlic cloves with a knife and add the pan. Cook while stirring until the bacon is crispy and golden.
- While the bacon is cooking, cook the spaghetti as per pack instruction, then drain and reserve 1 cup of cooking liquid.
- Remove the garlic from the pan and discard, then add the drained pasta and toss to combine with the bacon. Remove from the heat.
- Pour ¼ cup of cooking liquid into the spaghetti, and toss to combine. Add the egg and parmesan mixture, then toss to combine, adding more cooking liquid if needed until the sauce is rich and glossy. Season with pepper and serve immediately with extra parmesan if desired.
SKILL LEVEL: MEDIUM
TIP: For a delicious twist, stir ¼ cup of Pams Pesto into the egg yolk mixture in step one to give this dish a herby kick.