Pesto and tomato gnocchi bake
In search of Italian-inspired comfort food without needing to leave the house? This vegetarian pesto and tomato gnocchi is moreish and suitable for the entire family; even better served as leftovers the next day!
- Olive oil
- 1 brown onion, finely diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 courgette, grated
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- 680g bottle tomato passata
- 500g store bought packaged gnocchi
- 1 fresh ball or ⅔ cup grated mozzarella
- 100g basil pesto
- Handful fresh of basil leaves
- Preheat your oven to 200 degrees celsius fan bake. In a heavy based frying pan, bring a generous drizzle of olive oil to a medium heat. Once hot, saute the onion and garlic for a couple of minutes or until the onion begins to turn translucent.
- Once the onion and garlic has softened, add the oregano and cook while stirring for a minute before adding the grated courgette. Stir to combine, then stir in the tomato paste and passata.
- Season with salt and pepper, then reduce to a medium to low heat and leave to simmer for 10 minutes while preparing the gnocchi; stirring occasionally.
- Cook the gnocchi in salted boiling water as per pack instruction. Drain well, then gently fold through the tomato sauce. Once combined, transfer the gnocchi and sauce if needed to a baking dish if your pan isn’t ovenproof.
- Tear or sprinkle the mozzarella over the top, then dollop the pesto over the surface of the gnocchi. Place into the oven, and bake for 10-15 minutes or until the cheese has melted.
- Allow the gnocchi to cool for five minutes once baked, then garnish with fresh basil leaves and serve while hot.