- 500 grams floury potatoes, scrubbed
- 1 small egg yolk (optional)
- 1¼ cups flour
- 1½ cups store-bought tomato passata, heated
- Parmesan cheese
- Boil the potatoes until tender, about 35-40 minutes. Drain and as soon as you can hold the potatoes, scrape off their skins using a small, sharp knife.
- Put a large saucepan of salted water on to boil. Pass the potatoes through a potato ricer or hand mouli directly on to your bench top. Alternatively, mash with a potato masher and whip with a wooden spoon. Add the egg yolk, if using.
- Sprinkle over the flour.
- Mix and work lightly into a dough.(See box overleaf for testing consistency of dough). Cut the dough in half.
- Roll each piece of dough into a long rope then cut into 3-4cm pieces.
- Slip 6 pieces of gnocchi at a time into the boiling water and once they sink to the bottom, give them a gentle stir. As the gnocchi rise to the surface (allow 1½-2 minutes), lift them out with a slotted spoon. Sit the spoon on kitchen paper to drain off excess water then tip into a lightly buttered serving dish. Continue to cook the remaining gnocchi.
To Serve: Pour the heated tomato passata over the gnocchi. Spring with freshly grated Parmesan cheese; serve immediately.