Special spaghetti and meatballs
"This dish is a weekly meal for my family, we love its fresh ingredients, its rich flavour and the humour that comes with eating it. Its origin is Italy but I made it own by adding a few special touches hear and there, I really hope you enjoy this family friendly dish."
- 400 gm Minced lamb or beef
- 1 Packet spaghetti
- 3 cloves garlic
- hand full of basil
- 1 1/2 dried oregano
- 3 large tomatoes
- 50 gm butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 250 gm mozerella
- Parmesano regiano for taste
- 1 1/2 cans tomato puree
- salt & pepper to taste.
- Olive oil
- Add mince, oregano, 1 chopped garlic clove, salt and pepper into a bowl and combine.
- Add eggs and bread crumbs and stir till everything is evenly combined.
- Roll each meatball into a ball about the size of a dessert spoon, poke a hole into the meatball and add a chunk of mozerella, mold the meat around the cheese and make sure there is no holes.
- Place meatballs on a lined try and set in fridge for 15-30 mins.
- Turn on the oven to 180 degrees.
- Cut the stalks off the tomatoes and cut an X shape at the top, being careful not to pierce all the way through, brush with olive oil and salt and bake in oven for 15 mins.
- Get a large pan/skillet and add in the butter and a little bit of oil, get the meatballs and brown each one at a medium temperature.
- Take tomatoes out of oven.
- Put the meatballs in the oven and turn the oven down to about 130 degrees.
- Let the tomatoes cool down while you finely chop the garlic and bazil.
- Peal the skin of the tomatoes and de-seed and roughly chop.
- In the pan you cooked the meatballs in, fry off the garlic the add the tomatoes, the tomato purée and salt and pepper, let that heat through.
- Get a big pot and fill with water and 3 tbsp salt, bring to boil and add spaghetti.
- Return meatballs to the tomato sauce and simmer until pasta is cooked.
- Serve with freshly grated parmesan and basil.