Vegan lasagna with cashew and pumpkin ricotta
Packed with flavour, texture, colour and deliciousness, non-vegans will never notice the difference with this creamy veggie-packed lasagna! The dairy-free ‘ricotta’ in this recipe is made with cashews - pretty clever right?!
- 400g Pams Natural Cashew Nuts
- 1 small pumpkin
- 1 small onion
- 2 cans Pams Diced Oregano & Garlic Tomatoes
- Pams Cold Pressed Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 packet dried lasagna sheets
- 1 large bunch silverbeet, chopped
- Add the cashews to a small pot and fill with water. Bring to the boil and then simmer for 5 minutes. Turn off the heat and leave in the pot of water to soak.
- Drain most of the water from the cashews then pour them into a blender with a dash of vinegar and some salt. Blend until smooth and creamy.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C. Cut the pumpkin in half and place into the oven for 30-35 minutes or until the flesh is tender. Leave to cool. Scoop the flesh out of the pumpkin and mash with a fork. Combine with the cashew ricotta mix.
- Add the onion, tinned tomatoes and olive oil to a blender and blend until smooth. Pour into a saucepan and simmer over a medium heat for 10 minutes. Season well.
- Preheat oven to 180°C. In a square ovenproof dish around 25 x 25cm, start with a glug of oil then spoon in some of the tomato sauce, followed by a layer of lasagna sheets, then a thin layer of silverbeet leaves and a layer of the pumpkin and cashew ricotta mix. Repeat until the layers reach the top of the dish, finishing with a spread of the pumpkin and ricotta mix on top.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Leave to rest for 10 minutes then serve.
Add a few extra aromatics such as fresh garlic and basil to elevate the flavour of the tomato sauce.
Leftovers will keep well in the fridge, covered, for up to 4 days, or freeze in single portions for a quick and easy midweek meal.