Bacon, egg and parmesan pie
Bacon and egg pie is a kiwiana classic, and we’ve put our twist on this nostalgic recipe with some added herbs, garlic and sweet cherry tomatoes! Layers of beaten and whole eggs make for a delicious, flavoursome pie that the whole family will love.
- 2-3 sheets Pams flaky puff pastry, defrosted
- 14-16 eggs
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- ½ cup Pams Cream
- ⅓ cup freshly grated parmesan
- Handful fresh parsley leaves, roughly chopped
- 8 rashers streaky bacon, cut into large pieces
- ¼ brown onion, finely diced
- ¼ cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- Preheat your oven to 200 degrees celsius fan bake. Line a greased baking dish or cake tin with pastry, leaving enough overhang and pastry to create a lid.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together 6 of the eggs with the cream, half of the parmesan, parsley, salt and pepper until well combined. Next, pour the beaten egg mixture into the pastry case.
- Scatter the bacon pieces over the beaten egg, followed by the onion and cherry tomatoes.
- Crack the remaining eggs over the surface, then season with pepper and sprinkle over the remaining parmesan. Top with a pastry lid, then brush any beaten egg coming through the pastry over the top and prick with a fork or knife.
- Place into the oven and bake for 40-45 minutes, or until the pastry is golden brown and a skewer comes out clean when tested. Leave to cool before removing from the dish and slicing into portions.
SKILL LEVEL: EASY/MEDIUM
TIP: For an extra herby twist, add a mixture of herbs such as thyme, basil or rosemary to this pie for an added flavour boost!