Chicken and vegetable pie
There's nothing like a home-cooked pie straight from the oven. Pies are always a great meal to feed a family, and this budget-friendly recipe is loaded with vegetables, and simple to put together.
- 2 sheets puff pastry
- 2 tablespoons oil, divided
- 500g chicken breast, diced
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped or
- 1 ½ teaspoons crushed garlic
- 2 carrots, grated
- 2 cups frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 cup frozen green beans
- 1 teaspoon dried mixed herbs
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons cornflour
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- pepper, to taste
- 1 egg, beaten
- Thaw pastry according to instructions on the packet. Preheat oven to 180ºC.
- Heat one tablespoon of oil in a frying pan and fry the chicken until it is cooked. Transfer the chicken into a bowl and set aside.
- Add one tablespoon of oil to the same frying pan and cook the onion and garlic until soft and clear. Add carrots, mixed vegetables, green beans and mixed herbs and cook for approximately 5 minutes or until the vegetables are beginning to soften.
- Add the chicken and the chicken stock to the frying pan and mix well. Mix the cornflour with the milk and then add to the frying pan. Season with salt and pepper.
- Once the mixture is boiling, turn down the heat and allow it to simmer until the sauce has thickened. Stir often. This may take 5 or 10 minutes. Once thickened remove from heat and
allow to cool slightly.
- Grease a pie plate or oven proof dish with oil and place a layer of pastry in the bottom. You may need to cut your pastry in some places and add it to other places to make it fit. Pour the chicken and vegetable mixture on top of the pastry and top with the second sheet of pastry.
- Press the edges of the pastry together and trim off excess pastry. Seal the edges by pressing them together with a fork. Poke a few holes on the top to let steam escape. Brush the top ofthe pie with the beaten egg.
- Cook for 30-40 minutes or until the pie is puffed and golden. Let the pie cool for 5 to 10 minutes before serving.
TIP: Brush any pastry offcuts with beaten eggand bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes at the same time as you’re cooking the pie for a tasty snack.
The filling for the chicken and vegetable pie can be made in advance and kept in the fridge.
Leftovers can be portioned and frozen, or kept in the fridge for lunch the next day.