Aunty julz smoked chicken and corn pie
"NZ is well known for its beefy pies. A few weeks ago a friend's daughter asked me if I would make her a chicken & corn pie. I made the pie for Jessica she said it was the best. Since then it has been tasted by friends & family as well as work colleagues. Make it and you won't be disappointed!"
- 1 packet 'Maggi' chicken soup
- 500 grams of chicken breast cut into chunks
- 1/4 tsp of smoked hickory liquid
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 6 good sized button mushrooms, sliced into chunks
- 1/2 cup of corn kernal
- 2 big stalks of green onions, sliced
- 1 packet Pams Flakey Puff Pastry 2-4 sheets of pastry depending on the size of pie the dish
- 1 punnet 250/300g cream depending on size of the pie dish
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/4 cup of green beans (optional)
- Preheat oven to 180C. Heat olive oil in pan sprinkle a little salt and place chicken in to cook.
- Add 1/2 tsp of smoked hickory liquid and mix into chicken thoroughly.
- When chicken is half cooked take off heat and place in a bowl.
- In a small pot pour in the small punnet of cream, add the maggi chicken soup mix and mix thoroughly into the cream. Bring to heat and stir until mixture thickens, then take off the heat, and place on the bench.
- Add the chicken, onions, corn, and mushrooms and stir all the ingredients until they are all covered by the cream and soup mix.
- Place baking paper on the bottom of a normal sized pie dish, so the pie wont stick, then place a sheet of 'Pams flaky pastry' into the bottom moulding it into place, you may need to use a little more pastry around the sides as one sheet does not quite cover the bottom of a normal sized pie dish.
- Add in your pie mixture and then cover the top with another sheet of pastry, mould this into place so all the sides are covered, then place a design on the top of the pie - this part is optional.
- Coat the top of the pie with a beaten egg so that it browns nicely in the oven while cooking, place into preheated oven and cook for 35 to 40 minutes.