- 50 g butter
- 3 tbsp Flour
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 tbsp sour cream or creme fraiche
- 1 cup fresh cherries, halved and stoned
- 4 slice thickly cut ham, diced
- 3 sheets of pre-rolled butter puff pastry, defrosted
- 1 egg, light beaten, or milk, for glazing
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan and stir in the flour. Cook, stirring, until you have a smooth, golden paste.
- Gradually stir in the chicken stock and cook over a low heat, stirring constantly until the sauce is very thick and smooth.
- Spread the sour cream or crème fraîche over the surface (this prevents a skin forming) and set aside to cool. Once cool, mix in the cherries and diced ham.
- Preheat the oven to 190°C. Lightly grease a baking tray.
- Cut each sheet of pre-rolled pastry into 4 squares. Working with 1 pastry square at a time, brush the edges with the beaten egg or milk. Place 1 tablespoon of the ham and cherry filling onto one side; fold pastry over filling so the edges meet, forming a packet. Crimp edges with a fork to seal.
- Using a sharp knife, cut a very small slit in the top of the pie to vent steam. Place on the prepared tray and repeat with the remaining pastry squares.
- Brush tops with the beaten egg or milk to glaze and refrigerate for about 10 minutes to allow the pastry to rest.
- Place the pies in the preheated oven and bake for 20 minutes until golden.
Leave to cool before eating or cool completely and pack into your picnic tin.