- 1 large leek finely chopped - use white and green part of leek
- 3 rashers of bacon chopped (or equivalent in ham)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1/2 cup milk
- Sheet of flaky pastry
- 4 eggs
- Place leeks and bacon in frying pan with butter, chicken stock and a little water and cook until leeks are soft and all water has gone.
- Add flour and mix through leek mixture stirring until well distributed.
- Cook for 1 minute stirring to keep from sticking to bottom of pan.
- While stirring add milk and keep stirring until mixture forms a light sauce.
- At this stage add a little more milk if too thick.
- Tip the leek and bacon mixture into either one large pie dish or four small ramekin dishes for individual pies. Top each dish with flaky pastry and cook in oven at 180°C until pastry is golden brown.
- Remove pies from oven and lift the pastry top, being careful of the steam that will come out.
- Break eggs keeping them whole, onto top of leek and bacon. If preparing individual ramekins allow one egg per ramekin.
- Replace pastry top and place back into oven.
- Bake for a further 5-10 minutes depending on preference for soft or hard eggs - bearing in mind that eggs will continue to cook until plated.
- Nice served with mashed potatoes and cinnamon pumpkin or for a light luncheon a salad and fresh bread rolls.