- 400g block frozen savoury short pastry, defrosted
- 1 small onion, peeled and finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons Quatre Épices (recipe follows)
- 2-3 pork belly slices, rind removed
- 500g pork mince
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme or 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 egg, beaten or milk to glaze
1. Preheat the oven to 190°C. Grease 9 muffin tins or line the base and sides with baking paper.
2. On a lightly floured board roll the short pastry out to 3mm thickness. Leave to rest.
3. Cook the onion, garlic and spice mix in a dash of oil in a frying pan for 4-5 minutes or until the onion just begins to soften; cool. Dice the pork slices and mix with the minced pork, onion mixture and thyme.
4. Cut 9 circles large enough to line the base and sides of the muffin tins from the pastry and press gently into each prepared tin. Brush the edges with beaten egg or milk. Gather pastry scraps together, knead lightly and re-roll. Allow to rest before cutting 9 small rounds for lids.
5. Divide the pork mixture evenly among the muffin tins. Top with the pastry lids and press pastry edges together firmly to seal. Use a small, sharp knife to cut a cross in the top of each pie to allow steam to escape.
6. Bake in the preheated oven for 40 minutes or until the pastry is golden and the filling is cooked. Allow the pies to cool in the tin for 5 minutes before removing.
Serve warm or cold with a favourite relish.
1 1/2 tablespoons ground white pepper
2 1/2 teaspoons nutmeg
2 teaspoons ground ginger
1/2 teaspoons ground cloves
Mix all ingredients together well. Keep in an airtight container. Makes 3 tablespoons.