Jess' lemon meringue pie
View the method
- 125g butter (for shortcake)
- 125g sugar (for shortcake)
- 1-2 eggs (for shortcake)
- 1C self-raising flour (for shortcake)
- 3-4 lemons (for lemon filling)
- 4-6 egg yolks (for lemon filling)
- 2T sugar (or to taste) (for lemon filling)
- 4-6 egg whites (for meringue)
- 1C sugar (for meringue)
Back to ingredients
- To make the shortcake: Cream butter and sugar together. Add eggs. Add self-raising flour a small amount at a time, enough to make soft dough. Put into dish and bake 180C for 20mins.
- To make the lemon filling: Put whisked egg yolks, juice and zest of lemons (zest not rind), and sugar into bowl over a pot of boiling water. This takes a long time but persevere and you will have a yummy filling. Once the mixture is a thick consistency, it's ready. Spoon onto base.
- To make the meringue: Beat egg whites until stiff. Add sugar slowly and beat until it's shiny and peaks form. Spoon on top of pie and bake until golden at 180C, Approx 10mins.