Vanessa’s asparagus and spicy sausage carbonara
Gather all the ingredients before you start as the sauce doesn’t take long to cook.
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped or sliced
- 6 good-quality spicy sausages
- 1 bunch fresh asparagus
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 375 ml-can evaporated milk or cream
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 500 grams penne pasta
- Fresh parsley
- Pan-fry the garlic in a little oil over a medium heat.
- Grill or pan-fry the sausages and then slice diagonally.
- Remove woody ends from the asparagus and microwave (2-4 minutes), boil or steam. If microwaving, add 3 tablespoons of water. Check the asparagus so you don't overcook it – it should still be firm to the bite.
- In a bowl mix the cooked garlic, eggs, evaporated milk and half the Parmesan cheese. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cook the pasta in rapidly boiling salted water until al dente (firm but not hard to bite) for about 14 minutes.
- Drain and return pasta to the pot (don't put the pot back on the element as the heat will cook the eggy carbonara sauce). Stir through the egg mixture.
- Serve sprinkled with remaining Parmesan and top with the sausages and asparagus.
Garnish with ground black pepper and chopped parsley.
I made the mistake of putting the pan with the sauce and pasta back on the element with it turned off as I like my food really hot. My recommendation is not to do this as it's a fine line between ending up with scrambled eggs or having a silky smooth sauce!