Mexican pulled pork pies
You just can’t beat a great Kiwi pie when it’s time for the great Kiwi game. And while an individual steak ‘n’ cheese and a tub of sauce is sometimes what’s needed, you could change it up a little, too…
- 2 x 180g Hellers BBQ Pulled Pork
- 10 sheets of flaky pastry
- 2 tins black beans in spicy sauce
- ½ red onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon Gregg’s Cumin Seeds
- Gregg’s Chilli Flakes to taste
- 2 handfuls coriander leaves, chopped
- 2 spring onions, finely sliced
- 1 punnet of small tomatoes (quartered)
- 150g sour cream
- 1 egg, whisked for brushing pastry
- Gregg’s Sesame Seeds for sprinkling
- Olive Oil
1. Preheat fan oven to 200ºC.
2. Spray your large muffin tins well and cut your pastry tops and bottoms to fit.
3. For the filling, cook the red onions in a little oil. Gently sweat for 5 mins then add the garlic, chilli flakes and cumin seeds for a further 2 mins.
4. Add the black beans and bring to a gentle simmer. Add the pulled pork, tomatoes and spring onions. Simmer for 5 minutes (add more chilli flakes and seasoning to taste).
5. Fold through the fresh coriander and ladle into each pastry case filling it almost to the top.
6. Add a large dollop of sour cream into each pie, place the lid on and secure by folding the edges neatly over and around the lid. Brush with egg and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
7. Bake for approx. 35-40 mins or until the pastry is golden and the filling is starting to bubble up out of any cracks around the edge.