Pickled pork with cherry sauce
Pickled pork is deliciously moist and well worth a try. Slice leftover pork to use in sandwiches the following day.
- 1 kg piece of pickled pork
- 1 onion, peeled and sliced
- 1 carrot, washed and sliced
- 1 celery stalk, sliced
- 1 bouquet garni
- 6 black peppercorns
- 1/4 cup redcurrant jelly
- 1/2 cup port
- pared rind and juice of 2 oranges
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 cup cherries, stoned
- Unwrap and rinse the pickled pork under cold water.
- Place in a suitably-sized saucepan and just cover with cold water. Add the vegetables, bouquet garni and peppercorns.
- Partially cover with the lid, bring to the boil, reduce heat and simmer for 1½ hours.
Serve pickled pork, sliced, with the cherry Cumberland sauce, new potatoes or roasted kumara and steamed vegetables.
Cherry Cumberland Sauce
- Melt the redcurrant jelly in a small saucepan.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients; simmer for 5 minutes.
- Allow to cool before serving. Makes 1 cup.