Chinese pork hocks
"We produce our own pigs and have never found a really great recipe to use the pork hocks with, until I found this one, truly amazing. The spices, soy and long slow cooking, really do these hocks amazing justice, yum."
View the method
- 1.5 kg pork hock
- 1/2 cup red vinegar
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup rice wine
- 1/2 cup dark soya sauce
- 2 star anise
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 bruised garlic cloves
- 1 thumb ginger, thinly sliced
- 2 onions, sliced
- 1 Tbsp roasted sichuan peppercorns
Back to ingredients
- Roast hock for 45 minutes in hottest oven.
- Simmer red vinegar and sugar until syrupy.
- Add rice wine and soya sauce to vinegar.
- Add all spices, garlic and ginger.
- Add enough water until half way up hock.
- Cover and braise in the oven at 150 degrees celcius for 2 1/2 hours.
- Serve with Rice and asian green vegetables.