- 6 oz Pork neck
- 1 cup palm oil
- 1/2 cup kecap manis
- 3 Tbsp Oyster Sauce
- Star Anaise (optional)
- 3 cloves garlic
- 4-6 birds eye chillis
- 1 Tbsp roasted peanuts
- 2 Tbsp dried shrimp
- Slice lime
- 4 quartered cherry tomatoes
- 2 Chinese long beans
- 1 cup shredded green papaya
- 2 Tbsp palm sugar
- 1 Tbsp lime juice
- 1 Tbsp tamarind water
- 1-2 Tbsp fish sauce
- Make the pork a day in advance.
- Make a syrup with 1 c palm sugar, 1/2 c kecap manis, 3 T oyster sauce, pinch of salt and pinch of star anise (optional).
- Simmer about 3 minutes to reduce and then cool.
- Slice 6 oz pork neck into 2" x 1" pieces and marinate in the syrup overnight.
- Dry on a rack for a day until almost dry.
- Salad- pound 3 cloves of peeled garlic, pinch of salt and 4-6 brid's eyes chilis in a mortar and pestle, add 1 heaped T of roasted peanutes and 2 T dried shrimp and pound into a coarse paste.
- Add slice of lime (optional) then 4 quartered cherry tomatoes and 2 Chinese long beans (cut into 1/2" pieces) and mash gently.
- Add 1 c shredded green papaya and bruise.
- Next season with 2 T palm sugar, 1 T lime juice, 1 T tamarind water and 1-2 T fish sauce.
- Deep fry pork in oil on med heat until mahogany colored and fragrant.
- Serve alongside the salad.
- Suggest eating this with wedges of cabbage, cucumber slices and Chinese long beans.
- Coconut rice is also something to eat with the salad.