- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 large carrot, finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, finely sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped rosemary
- 700g pork mince
- 1 cup white wine
- 1 x 400g can chopped tomatoes
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese to serve
- Heat a film of olive oil in a large frying pan and gently cook the onion, carrot, celery and garlic for 10 minutes over a low heat. Transfer the contents of the pan to your slow cooker along with the thyme and rosemary.
- Return the pan to the heat, adding a little more oil if needed and quickly brown the pork mince over a high heat, breaking up clumps to get as much colour as possible. Pour over the wine and allow to reduce by half.
- Transfer the mince to the slow cooker along with the tomatoes and 1 cup of water. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cook on low for 7 hours (high for hours).
- Serve with penne pasta and sprinkled with grated Parmesan cheese.
The ragu can cook on low for a longer period of time if needed. If you wish, you can thicken the sauce with a flour and water paste. Make sure you continue to cook for at least 10 minutes after doing so, in order to cook the flour.
OR YOU COULD:
Use half pork mince and half beef mince or use all beef mince for this recipe if you prefer.