Smoky brown sugar ribs
You can prepare and cook these ahead of time. Just reheat on a grill or barbecue.
View the method
- 3 red onions, thinly sliced
- 6 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 2 red chillies, deseeded and roughly sliced
- ½ cup ﬁrmly packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- ¼ cup chopped coriander leaves
- 1½ cups red wine
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup sherry vinegar
- Salt and ground pepper to taste
- 2.5 kilograms beef or pork short ribs (ask your butcher to cut them across the bone into about 10cm lengths)
- Extra sliced red chilli, lemon wedges and coriander leaves to garnish
Back to ingredients
- Place all the ingredients (except the ribs and garnish) into a processor and pulse to combine.
- Arrange the ribs in a shallow container in a single layer, pour over the marinade, cover and refrigerate overnight.
- When ready to cook, preheat an oven to 160°C, transfer the ribs to a roasting pan and cover with a layer of foil.
- Roast for 1½-2 hours basting every 20 minutes until they are tender and beginning to caramelise on the edges.
- Either eat immediately or cool and refrigerate for up to two days. To reheat them, grill or barbecue on a medium-hot surface for 3 minutes each side.