Split red lentils with pork and fennel meatballs
This Italian inspired recipe is easy to prepare, and with the addition of lentils, hearty and nutritious too! Pork and fennel is a match made in heaven.
- 600g lean pork finely minced
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tin Pams diced whole peeled tomatoes
- 1 litre reduced salt Pams chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 1/2 cups Pams split red lentils
- 100 gms baby spinach or kale leaves
- 1 tablespoons toasted seeds – sunflower, pumpkin & linseed
In a bowl combine the minced pork, onion, garlic, fennel seeds and parsley and mix well.
Divide the mixture into 12 even sized meatballs. Heat the oil in large saucepan and cook the meatballs for 2-3 minutes until lightly browned all over.
Drain off any excess oil then add the tomatoes, stock, paste and lentils and gently simmer for 15-20 minutes or until the meatballs are cooked and lentils tender. Add the spinach and stir through until just wilted and bright green.
Serve topped with toasted seeds and cracked pepper.