Sweet & Sour pork
"Mum used to make this dish when we were young. The recipe was given to her by a family friend on her wedding day (in the 1960's) so it has been around a long time. Still a firm family favourite."
View the method
- 400g pork pieces
- Flour to dust
- Canola oil (to deep fry)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup malt vinegar
- 1/2 cup pineapple juice
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 carrots (cut into sticks)
- 1 tin pineapple pieces (reserve juice for above)
- 2 tsp cornflour mixed with a little water
- 250g white flour
- 1 egg yolk
- Pinch salt
- 150ml water
- splash olive oil
- 200ml soda water
- 2 egg whites
Back to ingredients
- Caramelise sugar in medium sized pot over very low heat (take care not to burn).
- Add vinegar, pineapple juice and water (at this point it will crackle and go hard). Turn up the heat and simmer until all of the caramelised sugar has melted.
- Add carrot sticks and continue simmering for 5 mins then add pineapple pieces.
- Stir in cornflour and water to thicken.
- Whisk together flour, egg yolk, salt, water, olive oil and soda water until smooth. Leave to rest for 20 mins. When you're ready to use it, whisk egg whites until stiff and fold in.
- Cut pork pieces into smaller pieces and dust in flour before dipping in the batter.
- Heat canola oil in a large pan or wok. Drop in pork pieces (pork will take 6 mins to cook). Drain on a paper towels.
- Serve deep fried pork on a bed of jasmine rice and pour over sweet n sour sauce.