Chicken Caesar salad is a classic dish suitable for any time of day. The addition of anchovies, crispy bacon and parmesan make it filling and tasty!
- 1 large or 2 small heads of lettuce.
- 100g Parmesan cheese, shredded or shaved.
- 4 Boiled eggs (optional).
- Cooked chicken (optional).
- 6 Rashers crispy fried bacon or prosciutto.
- Caesar salad dressing – homemade or store brought.
- Crisp croutons – homemade or store brought.
For the homemade croutons
- 1/4 French stick
- 3 TBS olive oil
- 3 TBS grated parmesan
- 1tsp crunched garlic
For the homemade Caesar salad dressing
- 2 Tbsp mayo
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 4 anchovies (optional)
- 2 large garlic cloves, pressed
- 1/4 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cups mild or extra light olive oil
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
To prepare the croutons:
- Cut French stick Lengthwise and slice into bite size pieces and place in a bag
- Mix Olive oil, Parmesan and garlic, pour into the bag and shake until bread is coated.
- Spread Evenly and Bake at 180oC for 15 minutes or until golden.
To prepare the Caesar salad dressing:
- Place mayo, mustard, garlic, Lemon, anchovies, salt & pepper, in the bowl of an electric food processor. Process until smooth and well blended.
- While the food processor is still on, VERY slowly pour in the olive oil. Process until thick and creamy.
- Add parmesan cheese and pulse 5 or 6 times.
To assemble the salad:
- Break up the lettuce into pieces by hand place in a bowl and add 3 Tbls dressing and rub onto the lettuce leaves.
- Either assemble in the bowl, or pile the leaves onto individual plates, tucking in the croutons, Bacon and Parmesan. Top with Cooked Chicken & Boiled eggs ( optional) Drizzle 3 Tbls dressing over to finish.