Roast Vegetable and Couscous Salad
Packed with vegetables, we all know that salads are a healthy way of getting vitamins and minerals into your body. But when you're used to eating lighter salads over the warmer months, how can you adapt this meal for winter time?
- 1 cup couscous
- 1 cup your choice of stock
- 1 kumara, peeled, cut into chunks
- 2 carrots, peeled, cut into chunks
- 150g pumpkin, seeds and skin removed, cut into chunks
- 1 red onion, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 tblspn fresh mint, finely chopped
- 2 tblspns lemon juice
- 2 tblspns olive oil
- 2 tblspns toasted pine nuts
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Toss prepared kumara, pumpkin, carrots and red onion in a bowl with oil, and salt and pepper to taste. Spread on a baking tray or roasting dish and bake around 40 minutes at 180˚C until the vegetables are tender and browned at the edges.
- Boil the stock and pour into a large bowl, then add couscous. Let it stand for 10 minutes then fluff with a fork.
- Add roasted vegetables, lemon juice, mint, additional salt and pepper to taste, and toasted pine nuts and toss to combine before serving.
Tip: You can substitute the roast vegetables here for any roast vegetables and also add roast meat. Get creative with your dinner leftovers to repurpose them for lunch or a side dish the next day.