Hidden vegetable croque monsieur
This French classic is the most indulgent way to enjoy a humble ham and cheese sandwich! Our hidden vegetable béchamel twist using Pams Frozen Cheesy Cauliflower is a great way to sneak more veggies into you and your family's diet, they’ll be none the wiser.
- 375g Pams Cheesy Cauliflower
- ¼ cup milk or water
- 2 spring onions, sliced
- 1 tsp Pams dijon mustard
- 8 slices bread of your choice (we used seeded sourdough)
- 2-3 slices champagne ham
- 1 ½ - 2 cups Pams Grated Mozzarella
- Freshly chopped parsley, to garnish
- In a microwave-safe bowl, combine the Pams cheesy cauliflower, milk, spring onion and mustard. Microwave for 8 minutes, stirring once, or cook on the stove top as per pack instruction. Leave to cool for 5 minutes.
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees celsius fan bake. Once the cauliflower mixture has cooled slightly, use a stick blender or standard blender to puree until smooth.
- Lay four of the bread slices onto a lined baking tray. Spread one to two spoonfuls of cauliflower béchamel onto each slice, then evenly divide the ham amongst the four slices.
- Sprinkle half of the grated cheese onto the ham, then top with the remaining bread slices. Dollop more cauliflower bechamel on top, then sprinkle the remaining cheese on top.
- Bake for 10 minutes, then grill for a further 5 minutes or until golden brown in colour. Serve while hot, and garnish with freshly chopped parsley.
Skill level: easy
Chef’s tip: Fry an egg and serve on top of these delicious French inspired croque monsieur to transform them to croque madame!